The Pediatrics Residency training program at T.C. Thompson Children's Hospital provides the highest quality education with state-of-the-art facilities. We are located in Chattanooga, TN, a family-friendly city boasting a variety of outdoor activities, an active downtown riverfront, and Southern hospitality. In January 2009, the Department of Pediatrics came under new leadership with the appointment of Alan Kohrt, MD, FAAP, as Professor and Chair.
Quotes from some of our residents:
- "This residency offers a perfect balance between academia and clinical experience."
- "The hospital environment is both friendly and conducive to learning."
- "This program exposes residents to a tremendous variety of pathology as well as close interaction with hospital-based and community pediatricians and subspecialists."
The Pediatrics Residency program at T.C. Thompson Children's Hospital strives to provide a balanced education which prepares the graduating resident for any pediatric career, rather general or specialty; inpatient or outpatient; academic, community, or rural.
- Program provides broad general pediatric experience including resident walk-in clinic, private office rotations, and inpatient medicine.
- Subspecialty rotations provide one-on-one learning between resident and faculty in outpatient, inpatient, and procedural settings.
- The volume and variety of patients provides exposure to a full range of well child care as well as disease pathology at all ages.
Faculty - Resident Interaction:
Close faculty-resident working relationships remain one of our program's strongest features. Residents have direct contact with faculty throughout the day.
- Sponsoring Institution: University of Tennessee College of Medicine Chattanooga
- Training Site: T.C. Thompson Children's Hospital at Erlanger Health System
- Facility: 107 bed regional tertiary care facility including a 58 bed Level III NICU with Neonatal Transport Team
- Program Size: 8 residents at each PGY level, 4th year chief resident
- Level I Pediatric Trauma center with 14 bed PICU
- State of the art Pediatric Emergency Department open 24/7 and staffed by board certified Pediatric Emergency Medicine Physicians with ~35,000 visits/year
- Call: Averages every 7th night, with 1 call-free month/year
- Time Off: Average of 1 day off in 7; 3 weeks vacation per year, 1 week conference per year
- Faculty: 51 hospital-based physicians (faculty members outnumber residents)
- Approximately 40% of graduating residents enter a fellowship program